Shujaat Bukhari shot dead in Kashmir. Who was he?
Editor of ‘Rising Kashmir’ daily Shujaat Bukhari was shot dead by unknown assailants on Thursday in Press Colony of Srinagar. His two personal security officers were also shot dead in this pre-Eid attack. He was attacked when he had stepped out of his office to head home.
The city’s police said they have been able to obtain photos from CCTV footage of the suspects involved in the attack in Press Colony that killed the respected journalist. The photos show three men on a motorbike with the rider’s face obscured by a helmet and one of the two pillion riders wearing a mask covering the lower half of his face.
Shujaat had survived three assassination attempts in the past. He had police security since 2000.
General public is requested to identify the suspects in pictures involved in today’s terror attack at press enclave.#ShujaatBukhari @JmuKmrPolice @spvaid @DIGCKRSGR @PoliceSgr pic.twitter.com/3cXM0CC8BD
— Kashmir Zone Police (@KashmirPolice) June 14, 2018
Who was Shujaat Bukhari ?
– He was the Editor-in-chief of ‘Rising Kashmir’ which is published from Srinagar.
– Earlier he served as a bureau chief in ‘The Hindu’ for 15 years.
– He did his Masters in Journalism from Ateneo de Manila University, Manila, Philippines.
– He was also a recipient of the World Press Institute (WPI) USA fellowship and Asian Centre for Journalism Singapore fellowship.
– Shujaat Bukhari’s brother Syed Basharat Bukhari is a law minister in Mehbooba Mufti’s cabinet.
– He was also the president of Adbee Markaz Kamraz, the biggest and oldest cultural and literary organization of Valley.
– Rising Kashmir,his daily,had been subjected to government censorship on multiple occasions.
-He was instrumental in organising several conferences for peace in the Kashmir valley.
– He had been part of India’s delegation for Track II (talks that happen outside of official government authorities) process with Pakistan. The talks had happened in Dubai in 2017.
Reactions of politicians after the attack:
1. CM of J&K Mehbooba Mufti-
Shocked & deeply saddened by the sudden demise of Shujaat Bukhari. The scourge of terror has reared its ugly head on the eve of Eid. I strongly condemn this act of mindless violence & pray for his soul to rest in peace. My deepest condolences to his family.
— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) June 14, 2018
2. Former CM of J&K Omar Abdulla-
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) June 14, 2018
3.Congress President Rahul Gandhi-
I’m anguished to hear about the killing of Shujaat Bukhari, editor of @RisingKashmir. He was a brave heart who fought fearlessly for justice and peace in Jammu & Kashmir. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 14, 2018
4. West Bengal CM Mamta Banerjee-
Saddened and shocked at the brutal killing of respected editor and senior journalist @bukharishujaat With a few hours to go for Eid this is terrible. No words are enough for this big tragedy
— Mamata Banerjee (@MamataOfficial) June 14, 2018
5. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh-
The killing of @RisingKashmir editor, Shujaat Bukhari is an act of cowardice. It is an attempt to silence the saner voices of Kashmir. He was a courageous and fearless journalist. Extremely shocked & pained at his death. My thoughts and prayers are with his bereaved family.
— राजनाथ सिंह (@rajnathsingh) June 14, 2018
6. Yogendra Yadav-
Shujaat Bukhari, one of the very few sane voices on the issue of Kashmir has been assassinated. This is the time to reflect on the seeds of hatred being sown and realise the value of those who put their lives at risk to keep the truth alive. My deepest condolences.
— Yogendra Yadav (@_YogendraYadav) June 14, 2018
7. Kapil Sibbal-
Shujaat Bukhari yet another victim of the insanity of violence. When will sanity return to our Kashmir . Let a dialogue at least start before there is no space left for it .
Meanwhile we condemn this unforgivable act of violence .
— Kapil Sibal (@KapilSibal) June 14, 2018
8. Sitaram Yechury-
Shocked by this horrendous assassination of my friend I have known for decades: Shujaat Bukhari, a journalist and crusader who relentlessly strove for peace & normalcy in J&K.
The perpetrators must be urgently identified & punished. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/SGUA2AG4pe
— Sitaram Yechury (@SitaramYechury) June 14, 2018
9. Arvind Kejriwal –
Heard the terrible news about senior journalist Shujaat Bukhari. Enemies of humanity have silenced a voice of sanity in Kashmir. May God give courage to his family in this hour of grief
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) June 14, 2018
(PHOTO INPUT :- FACEBOOK)
READ THIS NEWS IN MARATHI: