Geographical Importance of India
1. Relations: The global position of India is advantageous for the establishment of relation with other countries. India is located more or less at the centre of four continents viz. Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia. The Indian Ocean connects India with other parts of the world through waterways.
2. Control over the Indian Ocean: India lies at the head of the Indian Ocean. Such situation of India has contributed much towards the control over the Indian Ocean.
3. Climate: The geographical location also influences the climate of the country. The presence of the lofty Himalayas in the north checks the inward flow of the south-west Monsoon to make rain. Obstructing the passage of cold wind the Himalayas reduce the severity of winter.
4. Oceanic Trade and Commerce: On the south, the peninsular India is bounded by the Indian Ocean. This opening in the Seas offers India to use ocean routes and to promote trade and commerce.
5. Defense: The location of Himalayas, the Indian Desert and the Indian Ocean are import for the defense of India. They help to strong the Indian Military and Navy.