47 journalists killed in India since 1992, 19 in Jammu Kashmir
Senior journalist and Editor-in-chief of ‘Rising Kashmir’ Shujaat Bukhari was shot dead by three motorcycle-borne gunmen on Thursday when he stepped outside of his office in Srinagar.
The viscious attack on Shujaat Bukhari once again questions the security of the journalists. It shows how difficult it is to report from the troubled state of Jammu Kashmir. In the last decade many journalists have been killed in the state. They have been murdered for their reportage, captured and tortured for the same.
Not only in Jammu Kashmir, the situation is similar throughout the country. Last year on 5 September another senior journalist Gauri Lankesh, the editor of Gauri Lankesh Patrike was killed at her home. Similar questions over security for journalists had risen last year, similar questions rise today.
According to a data from Committee to Protect Journalists, 47 journalists have been murdered in India from 1992 to 2018 and 3 of these incidents have taken place in 2018.
(Source of Data – Committee to Protect Journalists)
Another report states that 19 journalists have been killed in Jammu Kashmir from the period of 1990 to 2018 which also includes Shujaat Bukhari.
Here is the list of journalists who were killed by militants in past:
1. 19 February 1990 – Lassa Koul, the director of Doordarshan Kendra in Srinagar.
2. 1 March 1990 – Assistant Director of Information, PN Handoo, was shot dead inside his office at Balgarden, Srinagar.
3. 23 April 1991 – Mohammmad Shaban Vakil, editor of an Urdu newspaper, Alfasa was shot dead in his office.
4. 29 September 1992 – Ali Mohammad Mahajan, working as a calligrapher with Urdu newspapers Hamadard and the Daily Aftab was killed along with his son.
5. 16 October 1992 – Joint Director Information, Syed Ghulam Nabi was kidnapped and held captive for 4 days. His body was found with torture marks.
6. 3 October 1993 – Mohammad Shafi Bhat, news reader of Radio Kashmir was killed.
7. 29 August 1994 – Ghulam Mohammed Lone, a freelance journalist was killed by a group of masked gunmen along with his 7 year son in their home.
8. 10 September 1995 – Mushtaq Ali, AFP photographer killed with letter bomb delivered by a woman at his office.
9. 10 April 1990 – Ghulam Rasool Shaikh, editor of Urdu daily Rehnuma-e-Kashmir, and English weekly Saffron Times was abducted and killed.
10. 1 January 1997 – Doordarshan anchor, Altaf Ahmad Fakhtoo was shot dead.
11. 16 March 1997 – Doordarshan reporter, Saidian Shafi waw shot dead along with his bodyguard.
12. 8 April, 1997 – Tariq Ahmad, a private television producer, was killed.
13. 10 August 2000 – Hindustan Times photographer, Pradeep Bhatia was killed in a bomb blast while covering a grendade attack in Srinagar.
14. 2003 – Parvaz Mohmmad Sultan, editor of News and Feature Alliance (NAFA), shot dead by unidentified gunmen in his office.
15. 20 April 2004 – Asiya Jeelani, a freelance journalist who contributed to local newspapers was killed in a landmine blast in Kupwara.
16. 9 May 2004 – Abdul Majid Bhat, reporter working in information department was killed in bomb blast in Doda town.
17. 11 May 2008 – Ashok Sodhi, Dailly Excelsior photographerwas killed in LoC crossfire in Samba district of Jammu.
18. 13 August 2008 – Javed Ahmed Mir was shot dead while covering a demonstration near Bagh-e-Mehtab.
19. 14 June 2018 – Shujaat Bukhari, Editor-in-chief’ Rising Kashmir’ shot dead along with his 2 personal guards.
(PHOTO INPUT :- KARNIKA KOHLI/THE WIRE)
READ THIS NEWS IN MARATHI